It is very common to see that many people give their cat the leftovers of their food, or prepare a special food dish for them. Sometimes you are not aware of the risks of human food in cats. Their nutritional needs are different from that of humans since their metabolism is different. Let’s find out Is it okay to feed your cat human food?
Cats are domestic animals that require very specific care. It is very common to see that people give their cat the leftovers of their food, or prepare a special food dish for them.
People are not aware of the risks of human food in cats. Their nutritional needs are different from those of a human being or a dog since their metabolism is different.
Therefore, it is recommended that you do not give your cat food. This type of food will not be able to satisfy the nutritional needs of your cat, also implying in most cases an excessive amount of calories.
Read also: When Do Kittens Open Their Eyes?
Why Is It Not Okay to Feed Your Cat Human Food
If you want your cat to have a balanced diet rich in nutrients that give it vitality and iron health, you should avoid giving it the foods that you usually eat normally. Since many of the foods that people eat can be harmful to cats.
Onion and garlic attack your cat’s red blood cells and cause anemia, and lemon can be poisonous in some breeds of cats. It is important to avoid giving avocado as they can cause fluid to build up around the tissues of the heart and become life-threatening. They can also cause diarrhea, vomiting, and respiratory distress.
Other really harmful foods for cats are coffee, tea, spicy or chocolate since they cause deficiencies in the contraction of the heart. Be careful with the chocolate! It is toxic and can be lethal for some cats.
You should also be careful with grapes and raisins, which can cause acute kidney failure, and with macadamia nuts, which have a toxin that affects your nervous and digestive system.
Is fish good for cats? It is very common to believe that yes, but if your cat often eats raw fish, the possibility of assimilation of the B vitamin from his body can be eliminated. So it is advisable to give it steamed and not raw fish.
Do you usually give your cat a bowl of milk? Contrary to popular belief, it is not good to give cats milk. Like many humans, they are lactose intolerant and it is not beneficial for them.
If your cat likes milk a lot, you can buy low-lactose milk, adapted for cats, which is more favorable, or you can even find some specific dairy preparations for him. So your partner can continue enjoying this delicious delicacy without causing any digestive problem!
What Human Foods You Can Feed to Your Cat?
Although many of the foods you eat regularly are harmful to cats, there are some exceptions. It is recommended that you feed your cat with special food designed for him, but just in case if you can not avoid giving him a treat from time to time. Take a look at this list of foods that you can give him in small amounts:
- Cooked Chicken or Turkey: Chicken is the perfect food to feed your cat when he is sick. It will help you heal faster and you love it!
- Yogurt: Although cats are lactose intolerant, you can give them one very occasionally, since they like it a lot. But always careful not to overdo it.
- Eggs: Eggs are a great source of protein and vitamins. Many of the special cat foods contain eggs as they are quite beneficial. Remember to cook them before giving them to your cat, as this will reduce the risk of diseases that this food can transmit.
- Baby food: baby food tends to have adequate nutrients for cats, and they are very soft. But watch out! some may have garlic or onion, so check the labels carefully before giving baby food.
- Bananas: You can give your cat small pieces of banana from time to time to give him an extra dose of potassium.
- Butter and oil: It is not good to give your cat large amounts of butter or oil, but sometimes you can add half a tablespoon to food as it helps to eliminate annoying fur balls more easily.
- Rice: Cats, like humans, may need to feed on a soft diet when they are sick. Especially when they suffer from gastrointestinal problems. For these cases, you can give him a little rice accompanied by small pieces of chicken. They will recover quickly!
- Cooked Vegetables: Many cats love vegetables, and some add the necessary fiber to their diet for when hairballs form. They tend to like broccoli or carrots a lot.
As you can see, the metabolism of cats has very different nutritional needs from yours and they need to have a very different diet. Now you know that a lot of human food is not good for them.
Give themm a balanced diet so that he has a long, healthy and happy life. Share with us the diet that you follow with your cat, it will be a great help for feline friends!
Read also: The 15 Stages of Kittens Growing Up